A HISTORY OF IMPACT
For 95 years, United Way of Greater Greensboro has been working to create the greatest impact possible by serving those in need so that every child, family, and adult can succeed.
Celebrating 95 years in the Community
January 1, 2017
In 2017, United Way of Greater Greensboro celebrates 95 years of improving lives and building a stronger community. Check out a brief history below. Thanks to your continued support, the next 95 years will be even better!
Board of Directors Approves Expansion of Family Success Center
October 1, 2016
Board approves expansion of the Family Success Center and partnership with MDC to create the Family Success Network.
Receives a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator
August 1, 2016
United Way of Greater Greensboro’s strong financial health and commitment to accountability and transparency earned it a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator, America’s largest independent charity evaluator. This is the first time that United Way of Greater Greensboro has earned this top distinction.
Family Success Center is Launched
January 1, 2015
Greensboro’s first Family Success Center is launched to provide integrated, place-based services to meet the needs of the entire family so that each family enters the path toward self-sufficiency. One hundred families are enrolled in the inaugural program.
Breaking the Cycle of Poverty
January 1, 2014
The Board of Directors votes to focus the work of United Way to break the cycle of poverty in Greensboro.
$1 million Mark
January 1, 2011
For the first time, United Way receives $1 million from an annual employee and corporate campaign – Lorillard, Inc.
January 1, 2004
United Way conducts community-wide assessment – Voices. Choices. – to determine community needs. Three focus areas were then developed: Growing Successful Kids, Helping People Help Themselves, and Caring for Everyone’s Health.
Women’s Tocqueville Society is established
January 1, 1998
The nation’s first-ever Women’s Tocqueville Society is established in Greensboro led by The Honorable Bonnie McElveen-Hunter with 40 women. United Way Women’s Leadership Councils worldwide have raised more than $1 billion.
January 1, 1997
United Way celebrates its 75th anniversary, raising $12.5 million in its annual campaign.
The Joseph M. Bryan Human Services Grant is established
January 1, 1996
The Joseph M. Bryan Human Services Grant is established to recognize Bryan’s lifelong commitment to the welfare of the Greensboro community.
In Touch Referral Service, 2-1-1, is established
January 1, 1994
United Way assumes referral service responsibility for Guilford County and establishes its In Touch Referral Service, now known as 2-1-1.
1500 Yanceyville Street is Gifted
February 1, 1992
The current home of United Way of Greater Greensboro, 1500 Yanceyville St., is a gift to the community from Mr. And Mrs. Sidney J. Stern Jr. and was dedicated to the memory of Mr. Stern in February of 1992.
Founding of Alexis de Tocqueville Society of Greater Greensboro
January 1, 1988
The Alexis de Tocqueville Society of Greater Greensboro is established with 16 charter members. Tocqueville Society members contribute $10,000+ annually to United Way.
Becoming United Way of Greater Greensboro
January 1, 1974
The organization is given the name United Way of Greater Greensboro.
United Fund becomes United Community Services
January 1, 1969
The United Fund becomes United Community Services.
January 1, 1967
Joseph M. Bryan establishes the United Way’s Kathleen and Joseph M. Bryan Community Enrichement and Venture Grant (CEVG) program to promote the improvement of human services delivery through innovative programs.
Move to the Ceasar Cone Memorial Community Services Building
January 1, 1957
United Fund moves to the Ceasar Cone Memorial Community Services Building, 1301 N. Elm St. – it’s home for 35 years.
Name changes to United Fund
January 1, 1956
The organization’s bane changes to Untied Fund and raises $684,373 to support 27 agencies.
Red Feather Symbol Created
January 1, 1955
Created by T. Spencer Meyer, it is used in Greensboro’s campaigns from 1945-1959.
Name changed to Greensboro Community & War Chest
January 1, 1942
After the name change in 1942 to Greensboro Community War & Chest, the organization’s name changes back to Greensboro Community Chest in 1945.
First Campaign Goal Achieved
January 1, 1940
The first campaign goal of $87,750 is achieved and supports 14 agencies.
Move to Civic and Cultural Center
January 1, 1939
A gift to the city from the Richardson family, the Civic and Cultural Center is located at Summit Avenue and Lindsay Street. Other tenants include the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Greensboro Art Center, and the Greensboro Public Library.
An Organization was Born
January 1, 1922
Before there was United Way of Greater Greensboro, there was the Greensboro Community Chest. The organization was established under the leadership of H. Smith Richardson. The first campaign raised about $68,000 in three days to support nine agencies.