11 corporations recognized for innovative use of company assets, employee engagement and results in communities worldwide
Alexandria, VA (May 14, 2014)–Yesterday, United Way Worldwide recognized eleven companies as “Outstanding Strategic Partners,” celebrating their long-term commitment, giving, volunteering, leadership and employee engagement which is making a lasting impact to improve lives and communities.
“United Way and communities around the world wouldn’t be where we are today without the passion and partnership of these corporate leaders and their employees,” said Brian Gallagher, president and CEO, United Way Worldwide. “They are helping us scale impact around the world and create opportunities for a brighter future and a better life for all people.”
• 3M (NYSE: MMM) @3MNews – 3M & its employees encourage innovation through science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), by volunteering and supporting students and schools. Globally, 3M supports United Way’s early childhood education effort around the world including Latin America, Europe, Africa and Asia Pacific.
• AT&T (NYSE: T) @ATT – AT&T is one of United Way’s top national company campaigns year after year and also supports United Way through an AT&T online auction. AT&T also is leading the way with new technologies, including a mobile optimized web application for employees to pledge during the annual campaign using their mobile phones.
• Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) @BofA_Community — Bank of America has been a longtime supporter of United Way and its affiliates for decades contributing more than $200 million and engaging employees annually through the company’s United Way Campaign. In 2006, the bank helped launch United Way’s life-changing financial stability work and has contributed $6.5 million towards volunteer income tax assistance and Earned Income Tax Credit education as well as holistic financial programs, which have helped millions of hardworking individuals and families nationwide.
• Deloitte LLP, @DeloitteUS — Deloitte is a leader in its efforts to help address our nation’s most pressing societal needs, notably through its more than 30-year commitment to United Way. With one of the nation’s largest United Way employee giving campaigns – and alongside its award-winning pro bono program and community engagement initiatives – Deloitte supports its national focus on education and veterans issues through designated United Way collaborative funds.
• GE (NYSE: GE) @generalelectric — GE’s global vision for education, income and health includes a long-term commitment to and investment in United Way and communities from the company, foundation, employees and retirees. GE also donates 2% of all appliance purchases at the GE Outlet Store to help United Way advance the common good.
• P&G (NYSE: PG) @proctergamble — P&G touches and improves the lives of millions of children around the world, and made it possible for the entire Latin America region to focus on improving early learning and helping kids get ready for success in school by expanding Born Learning with United Way.
• Publix Super Markets, @Publix – Publix has made a long-term commitment to kids and Born Learning, United Way’s early childhood education engagement campaign, educating customers with helpful tips on school readiness through multiple channels – in-store experiences, newsletters, shopping bags and more.
• Target (NYSE: TGT) @Target — Target’s national education partnership with United Way is helping communities collaborate to improve kindergarten readiness and test scores, and long-term, ensure more young people graduate from high school and college.
• UPS (NYSE: UPS) @UPS — UPS and its employees were the first company to raise $1 billion in contributions to United Way, with focused efforts on education and financial stability. UPS also holds an annual eBay auction, leveraging their sports and entertainment connections to raise funds for United Way. The company has also been an early champion for United Way’s global expansion, ensuring more people and communities would be strengthened for generations to come.
• Walmart (NYSE: WMT) @WalmartGiving – The Walmart Foundation’s national investment in MyFreeTaxeswith United Way is increasing access to free tax preparation and filing services and building awareness about the Earned Income Tax Credit. This critical work has helped millions of individuals and families save over $8 billion since 2009, building financially stronger futures and communities.
• Wells Fargo (NYSE: WFC) @WellsFargo – Wells Fargo is working with United Way to create a new Financial Capability Network that will strengthen individuals, families and communities across the country. This work is helping people follow a budget and save for the future so they can buy a home, educate children, build a business and achieve their financial goals.
Winning companies also increased employee engagement through mobile, web, videos and social media and leveraged numerous company assets including product donations and skilled volunteering to create sustainable, positive changes in local communities worldwide in the areas of education, income and health.
About United Way
United Way is a worldwide movement of nearly 1,800 community-based United Ways in 41 countries and territories. It advances the common good by focusing on education, income and health – the building blocks for a good quality life. The United Way movement mobilizes millions to action – to give, advocate and volunteer – to improve conditions in their local community. For more information about United Way, please visit:UnitedWay.org.
For more information, contact:
tel: 703.836.7112 x 253